Live Longer – Share Your Story!
Tales of the mysterious Fountain of Youth have been spun for thousands of years dating back to 5th century BC. Books and movies have entertained us with the search for this illusive magical fountain that would heal illnesses and restore youth to anyone who took a sip of this mystic water (I am pretty sure if they bottled this, it would still be cheaper than Fiji Water).
The search for youth and happiness continue today with age defying beauty products, supplements that promise to improve health, and surgeries that enhance our appearance.
For the past 14 months Chase My Passion has obsessed in uncovering the “WHY” behind what makes someone passionate, what makes someone live purposefully, and why happiness is obtainable for some and alludes countless others. I literally scoured the earth, embarking on a journey across the United States, where I spoke with 100’s of people, all whom bestowed bits and pieces of personal and transformational wisdom.
Read about my Pursuit of Passion Trip Here
During my pursuit, the universe continuously presented me with an impactful message:
The more I helped others, the better I felt! The More I gave to those in need, the more energy I had to give during the journey.
It was a life altering concept that was the direct opposite of everything I had ever known. The more I gave……the more I received…..what? In my underdeveloped and faithless mind, this just didn’t seem logical. From a young age we were always taught that when we give something away we lose that item. For example: If we have $20 dollars and we give someone $10, we lose $10 dollars and we are now only left with $10. The Universe was showing me something that contradicted this so called logical way of thinking. Throughout my trip, I was actually being rewarded by giving! The more I gave, the more I received. – No wonder Santa is so jolly!
When I got back from my pursuit, I began researching the power of paying it forward. What I found has been life altering! Paying it Forward has powers that make Superman look like, well…….Batman (sorry Batman fans, you know Superman would drag him all across Gotham City without breaking a sweat). The power of our hearts in action can not only impact our life, but also the people we come in contact with. What is even more supercalifragilisticexpialidociously awesome, is that paying it forward can have an impact on people we have never even encountered.
You are still skeptical?
You think this sounds like a bunch of mumbo Jumbo?
Okay…….. I can relate, as I was once in those exact same shoes (mine were just bigger, because I am 6ft 8in tall and I have big feet). So here is some science to back up what I am saying.
- Simply viewing acts of kindness have also been shown to cause elation, warmness, and a strong desire to help and connect with others. (Peak Experience)
- A study, conducted by Harvard University and the University of British Columbia, found that remembering past acts of kindness can make you happier and more likely to perform more kind acts.
- Kindness has also shown to cause decreased levels of loneliness and helplessness; as well as an increased sense of euphoria, exhilaration, satisfaction, and well being.
- Via the Journal of Happiness Studies conducted by Harvard Business School: People in general felt happier when they were asked to remember a time they bought something for someone else, compared to remembering when they bought something for themselves.
- Social scientists have conducted experiments demonstrating that the effect of a single act of kindness can in fact ripple through a social network, setting off chains of generosity that reach far beyond the original act.
- Researchers from the University of California, San Diego and Harvard provide the first laboratory evidence that cooperative behavior is contagious and that it spreads from person to person to person. When people benefit from kindness they “pay it forward” by helping others who were not originally involved, and this creates a cascade of cooperation that influences dozens more in a social network.
- Viewing, receiving, and performing kind acts can lead to calmness, relaxation, less headaches, eased pain, lower blood pressure and increased energy levels.
SCIENCE FOR THE WIN……….BOOM!!!!!!
Isn’t all of the above just absolutely amazing! With the excitement of the above information, I doubt that the following relates to any of you, but for the potential pessimists in the crowd, you are probably thinking…….
Wait, the title of this blog says…..”Live Longer – Share Your Story.”
I love how observant you are and thank you for the seamless transition into my next paragraph. It is much appreciated!
I believe that that most powerful way that we can give of ourselves is to open our hearts, bring down the walls, step up the courage, and share our story.
Will Smith said “that reading was a key to life, because there isn’t anything that we will go through in life that someone else hasn’t gone through and written a book about.”
I agree with Will Smith here, but I am going to push the envelope a bit further and say that the key to life is more than just reading, it is the willingness to learn from others’ experiences, which has the potential to ultimately teach us lessons, flood our hearts with hope, and inspire us to step forward. These stories are no longer just confined to books. They are played on television, streamed on YouTube, shared via social media, written in blogs, played on the radio, and many other media outlets. If you are going through a tough situation, do a simple google search and you will discover content that will speak to your situation.
You have a story!
You need other people’s story!
People need your story!
If we can all agree that there is an extreme amount of value in learning from other people’s experiences, we can conclude that sharing our story is paramount to providing hope, guidance, love, compassion, inspiration, motivation, and knowledge to those in need.
While there are a lot of different ways to give, I believe that sharing our story is one of the most dynamic ways we can give to another soul. When we share our story we are opening up the curtains to our heart and offering up a piece of our energy to make an impact on the world! That my friends is a power that even Thor would be envious of.
So…..SHARE YOUR STORY, GIVE A PIECE OF YOUR ENERGY TO SOMEONE ELSE, & MAKE AN IMPACT ON THE WORLD.
In return for your generosity, research has shown that when we give of ourselves everything from life satisfaction to self-realization and physical health is significantly improved. Mortality is delayed, depression is reduced and well-being and good fortune are increased.
(I told you I was going to bring this full circle)
Do you want to live longer? Share Your Story Here